Monday, January 26, 2009

Kiss it Better

As my mom sat on the floor, Nathan thought she was inviting him to jump all over her. Concerned for her safety, I prompted my mom to show him her "owie." Nathan traced the long scar tenderly with his finger. He asked if the DR had cut her open to pull something out. Although I haven't offered to show him my C-section scar, I'm sure that is why he assumed something must come out when a DR and Surgery are involved. He sat intently listening as Grandma explained how the DR put a new knee in.
Perhaps in his desire to demonstrate empathy, he pulled up his pant leg to find the slightest remain of a scratch and then shared the horrible account of his owie to Grandma. Grandma asked him if I had kissed it to make it feel better. He said, "Yes!" I suggested he kiss Grandma's owie to help her feel better, and he retorted that I should kiss it. Grandma & I laughed, she thinking her scar was too scary for him to kiss and I thinking Nathan has great confidence in the healing powers of my kisses. Regardless of what Nate meant, he later went to Grandma and kissed her now covered knee.

1 comment:

Michelle M said...

I always thought it was silly when moms kiss sores and kids instantly feel better, but now that I'm a mom, I love doing it! Dayton will just bring a hurt limb up to me, and I kiss it, then he goes back to playing. Magic is definitely involved!