Monday, January 26, 2009

Funeral for Florene

This weekend I had the priviledge of having my Ellgen Grandparents, my Uncle David Ellgen, and my mom come and stay with me as we gathered for Great Aunt Florene Pavlicek's funeral. I was so grateful that Noah offered to stay home from his very first Scout Camp-out so Ray could come with me to the viewing. As I was standing in front of the casket, my Grandma came and stood beside me. My Grandma squeezed me tight as she expressed how at times like these our faith in the next life is tested because we really don't know exactly what is going on where those who have passed are. I squeezed her back as I testified that I know exactly where those spirits are. "They are here all around us, right now." I shared with her my distinct impression that I had had earlier that day that Florene's husband, Great-Grandparents Pace, and Margie were there to embrace Florene's spirit as well as be with her now to surround us with their love. Through tears, my Grandma asked me if maybe Beth was perhaps there too? Ashamed that I hadn't mentioned Beth, I quickly added, "Of Course Beth is here too." "Absolutely." We both squeezed again. Words restrict my ability to convey my feelings. So, in my inadequacy, I will simply state that I am so blessed to have been there and had this experience. Grandma and I then agreed that Florene looked beautiful--younger and happy. How difficult it must be to be the oldest in a family and have your younger sisters pass on before you. My Grandma is my hero.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

i hadn't heard that Florene had passed away. that's sad. that must be really hard on grandma too. what a special experience... thank you for sharing. what comfort that is to us.

Michelle M said...

This was truly a wonderful experience for you, and I loved reading it. Spiritual thoughts are rare during my week of childcare, so I appreciate this.

I bawled over Derrick's grandma's casket when we told Dayton, "Grandma's sleeping" and he blew her a kiss. I knew she got his kiss and his heart was full of love.