Sunday, January 11, 2009

Jr. High Theft

My most current Jr. High drama happened this week. On Monday, after lunch, Elizabeth went to her locker alarmed to find it open. She had just put a new magnetic cubby (Christmas present) in her locker that morning and now it had been stolen. She was sad and concerned about leaving anything else in her locker--except for her books, which she believes no one would want to steal. I asked her if she'd reported this to anyone. She hadn't but hoped that I would. I forgot to for two days. And unfortunately, her locker was opened by someone other than herself both of those days. I finally remembered to call on Thursday. The pleasant student in the main office explained that I needed to talk to the woman whom I have already had too many altercations with. I was practicing deep breathing while she transferred my call. The woman answered, "Hello." I explained that my daughter's locker had been broken into for 3 days in a row and could we please have the combination reset. The woman asked if my daughter had reported this to the office. I replied that I was reporting the incident. She wanted to know if she should go and talk to my daughter about the situation. I tensely affirmed that my daughter came to me and I was now trying to rectify the problem for her. "Oh, I see," was all the woman said. After a brief pause and a suggestion on my part to just change the combination, she agreed. My daughter came home without having a new combination and I thought I'd have to give a Communication 101 review, but luckily, Friday a new combination was issued. Sadly, Elizabeth went to her locker after lunch and this time she couldn't open it. She was late to class and in a panic about not being able to get her homework out of her locker. The teacher actually went to the locker with her and after she failed to open it sent Elizabeth to the office. The Woman casually told her that she had a new combination after grilling her about locker safety. The Woman then tried to get a confession from Elizabeth that she'd shared her combination with someone...even a friend...Elizabeth promised she'd never dared to put her locker in jeopardy and fled the woman's office as quickly as possible. And why would a sweet and loving girl want or trust her problems with this Woman? I couldn't possible guess.

No comments: