Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chinese Immersion

At Tessa's school they will be implementing a Chinese Immersion Program for one of the first grade classes next year. Tessa came home from school with a note asking us to let the school know if we'd want Tessa to be in that class. Both Ray & I decided we should ask Tessa what she would like to do. After explaining to her that half of the day she'd be taught in English & the other half of the day she'd be taught in Chinese, she just sat there thinking. After about 5 minutes she looked up at me and said, "Mom, school is hard enough in my own language. Don't you think I should just stick with English for awhile. After all, I am just getting the hang of this reading stuff!"

5 comments:

Lynne said...

Wow! Chinese! I just love that Tessa girl. Wouldn't the world be a much more simple & comfortable place & run much smoother if it were a Tessa world. While John would absolutely love that I'm glad that Tessa has the wisdom at her young age to know what is best for her. Of course, I do wish Chinese would be offered here for John - I can't imagine what good French is going to do him. Oh well....

ZAC said...

HAHAHAHA!!!! That's so funny and what a thoughtful response too!!! I have definitely heard of Spanish immersion classes but Chinese? This is a first. Why Chinese? Is there a strong population of Chinese there? It's too bad she's not doing the Chinese! That'd be a story to tell down the road...but what supportive parents.

ZAC said...

I want an answer to my question.

Unknown said...

Zabel & Lynne, I don't know all of the answers yet to your thoughtful questions...We have a meeting on March 11th and then I will know more. I'll keep you posted. I do know it will be Mandarin Chinese. I don't even know who is qualified to teach the class? And, I'm not certain Tessa won't be in the class, I'm just not going to push it. I think they offer Spanish at a couple of different schools in the area...I don't have a clue why Chinese. We do have a few Chinese students because of the University...

JP said...

very cute!