Sunday, July 26, 2009

Colonial Village-July 2-4

Our city does a fabulous job to celebrate the 4th of July! In fact, there are so many activities that I still haven't done them all. However, I did manage to add 2 new ones to our traditions this year. The first was the Carillon Concert, the second was taking my children to see the "Colonial Village." There are a bunch of individuals and families who donate their yards, costumes, time, and talents to put up a small-scale colonial village for 3 full days.



Nathan & Rilla spent quite a bit of time rocking in a hand made baby cradle. The man had made several pieces of furniture by using colonial hand tools and was busy making his own lathe.



We had a fun time playing the game, "Graces."



Noah determined to get this hoop going and he did for about 20 feet...



Trying out some hand tools...



Playing with Checkers...



Steering a Mayflower replica...



In fact, the kids had so much fun that Elizabeth begged me to ask how she could volunteer for next year. She was ecstatic when they invited her to volunteer this year too. Elizabeth exclaimed, "I am so excited! I have always wanted to wear one of these dresses!" It is amazing & sometimes very simple what motivates us. :)
She & Emma spent the afternoon teaching other children graces & helping to spin yarn. Not wanting to miss out on the fun, Noah joined them on the 2nd day.
I am certain I won't forget about this activity next year.

No comments: