Sunday, October 26, 2008

Our Newest Little Cub



Rilla was born on Wednesday, October 22nd. After 8 hours of being on Pitocin, my body started to digress instead of the traditional progression that results in a healthy vaginal birth. A Cesarian was performed as there was concern that my placenta was too low to allow Rilla room to pass. And, a good decision was made for that is what had happened. After a couple days of shock, and healing, we are both doing well.
We came home from the hospital yesterday. I had turned in the birth certificate paperwork as we were leaving the hospital and I had a huge pit in my stomach about it all the way home. I had allowed my certainty to waiver as I listened to nurses' negative comments about my desire to name her "Rilla" so at the last moment, I looked for a new name. I really liked one I came across, "Talia." So, on a whim, I wrote it down and turned it in. The children had called for an update on our arrival time and a final name choice. I told them "Talia." The ride home seemed long, and I was having difficulty remembering what the name I had chosen was and how to pronounce it. This was not a good sign.
We drove up to the house and I caught a glimpse of what it might be like being famous and being stalked by paparazzi as the older children were jumping up and down cheering, while the younger ones were screaming at us while being restrained by the older ones so that they wouldn't get hit by the car. I wasn't foolish to think that the excitement was for my arrival, I knew the true star was the little package in the back.
As the van door was thrust open, each and every child welcomed "Rilla" not "Talia" home. I looked up and read the love notes the kids had posted on the garage door adorned with pink balloons and noticed the name "Talia" not "Rilla." It was clear to me that Rilla had come home and my desire for others to love and accept her name was foolish. We love our Rilla and she is here to stay :)
And, not a soul would dare argue with the 5 older body guards about their little sister's name or anything else for that matter. Each one of them would do anything to protect and defend her :)

No comments: